Have a nap!


I am sitting at my desk on a warm but rainy morning, having just dropped my daughter at nursery. It is the first day I have had to myself without any pressures of childcare or work for a very, very long time. Too long, in fact. In my gratitude diary today (yes, I do that now) I have written "I am simply grateful to have time. But I am so, so tired." 

Having a day off without recharging for so long doesn't mean, I discovered, that I bounced out of bed at 6 am, eyes shining with anticipation, and whizzed around like a mad Mary Poppins cleaning and sorting after running a 10k, or that I have boundless amounts of energy that will culminate in creative, life changing outcomes by the end of today. Quite the opposite. As I heaved myself reluctantly out of bed this morning following a night of constant wakeups as a result of a wailing little bean who was too hot to sleep, I felt surprisingly depressed. Even as I did my yoga just before I sat down to write this, I could feel that creeping emptiness that is so familiar and so inevitable as a companion to extreme exhaustion. 

So. I am giving myself a break today. I am setting an intention (yeah I know. I do that now too) to be kind to myself, whatever that means, and to be productive on balance. If I need a nap at 11 am, I'm takin it, baby. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wine when you have a toddler

Two-nagers!

Re-identifying your identity