Breakfast

Did you ever really taste your boiled eggs 

before having kids?


After probably the two most challenging years of my life (although that's only up until now, mind you!) today I had a day off. Off work, off stress, off being a mummy. 10 precious hours of just..being...me. This summer, granted, I have had two days a week completely free, but mostly during that time I am rushing around trying to clean, cook, organise, sell, plan, and by 2 pm I feel exhausted, empty and unproductive, which leads to me lying down guiltily and fitfully for the next few hours until it's time to pick up Pickle again. 

But last night, my superhero husband spent two hours cleaning the house, so that this morning after I had shipped Pickle off to nursery, I could come home to a clean house. Let me explain...a clean house to me, means that all the toys are shoved in more or less the same place rather than strewn lavishly and with wild glee in every conceivable space in the house, the potty, playdough bags, travel book bags and art easel are all lined up against the wall, books are back in the bookcase, the cooker has been cleaned and I can see most of the floor. I won't go into it, because I know how much I bang on about having a disheveled house, but suffice to say, my idea of clean is a few uncluttered surfaces and no grime. 

So back to today. It's the little things isn't it. I did Yoga. I had coffee. I did some admin stuff up in my crowded, but existent, office. I went downstairs, made two boiled eggs and a piece of toast, buttered the toast, peeled the eggs, added some ketchup to a plate, and ate breakfast. Every bite made me so deeply happy, and I thought to myself "I will remember each bite of this for the rest of my life". I let the ketchup lie a little longer on my tongue. I chewed the eggs thoughtfully. I suppose before people have children, nobody really appreciates the little things, and post kids, the significance of certain events is put starkly into perspective. I feel like at least for now, these few days in the summer, I am slowly starting to get a little more of my life back. Even if it is only that I enjoyed a bloody good boiled egg for the first time in a while.


So, parents, if you can, take a day, half a day, even an hour, (and believe me, I know that this isn't as easy as just "taking". Most of it is "giving".) sit down, and just have breakfast. It's a great feeling. You deserve it.

Thanks for reading x







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wine when you have a toddler

Two-nagers!

Re-identifying your identity