Wine when you have a toddler

                         To wine or not to whine?     

  
           
                                                       

    And the answer ALWAYS seems to be, to wine. I have struggled with my relationship with alcohol all throughout my 20s and 30s, and now it seems, I will be struggling with it throughout my 40s too. The amount of times in the last year that I have tried to give up drinking is embarrassing. I've done it every way I can think of. But it feels like I just can't do it. The wine witch is lurking around every corner, up every tree, in every supermarket and grocery store. 

    I am so jealous of my husband, who in his ... sophisticated, wiser years of life, finds alcohol makes him feel sick. He used to be the life of the party, and up until recently, would have 3 or 4 beers before anyone else had even got there. Now, he does not need to "watch his alcohol intake", because he doesn't even really like the stuff anymore! Oh, to be that guy

    Since I had my daughter, who is now 2, I find that I feel like I "need" to drink on a more regular basis, and I ask you, who with a 2 year old doesn't, but that after a drink or two in the evenings, trying to look after her the next day is so miserable that it's just not worth those two drinks, however much I need them. So I am at an interesting imbalance, rather like two enemies on a balancing plank; if either moves, both will become unbalanced, but both are desperate to destroy the other. So, as Wesley says in Princess Bride, we are at an impass. Okay, maybe my situation isn't quite as dramatic as the one between Inigo Montoya and Wesley the dread pirate Roberts, but I do feel trapped here. 

    Recently what has been happening is that in the week, I am able to control myself to the point where I don't go flying down the road to the corner shop as soon as Pickle is in bed to buy the cheapest wine I can find and come home to drown my exhausted, worn out self in the golden elixir. The problem with this is that I wait til Friday night, thinking "Hey, I got this kicked. I can drink or not drink tonight! Who cares? Not me!" and after Pickle's bedtime, casually swig down a few gulps, fully intending not to have "more than one", finding myself having "just one more glass, after all, it's Friday night" and I'm sure I don't have to tell you the rest of this re-ocurring story that ends in me stumbling off to bed. 

    Saturday is a write off, although halfway through the day I get excited at the prospect of finishing off that bottle of wine from last night, which I do, often with a cider or two thrown in, and then Sunday I just become angry, annoyed at myself, irritable and impossible to please. Which means I feel like I have to drink to feel better about myself again. 

    So this means that the two days that I have to spend with my family, Saturday and Sunday, are for the most part, spoiled every week, because of my struggle with this nasty substance. Something has to be done! (For the record, I tell myself this every Monday.) I am always tired and I am not my best after I've had a drink or two or five.

Here is that equation:

Me not giving my daughter mummy at her best + she deserves to have the best of everything = I need to change my drinking habits. 

This week, therefore, I shall endeavour not to drink any night, and this weekend, I shall limit myself to two nights of drinking, rather than three, and rather than anytime I feel like it (nap time! glass of wine anyone?) Because, all we can do, especially as a parent, all we can do is try our hardest. Right?

Thanks for reading
xxx










Comments

  1. Being a parent you are your own worst critic, especially if you compare yourself to other marter mums. We are allowed vices. I've never smoked or done drugs in my life. Reading this has made me think wow I drink alot more than you... dont have a hangover and don't think I've got a problem. But Ive always said you cant love someone else until you love yourself. What I schedule into the year of my leave is days off for me. I will happily drop my 2 year old twins at nursery and spend the day with myself just to take a breathe. I find you can give and give and give and leave yourself on empty - not good! You got this mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are totally right! It's so important to give yourself a break. I am learning this year "how" to do that, if that makes sense. You wouldn't think that taking time out for yourself, that nurtures your soul and brings you back to your own calm space, would be a skill, but it is! I just need to figure out how to do it without relying on the vino so heavily I think. But as you said, you need to give yourself the permission to give in to vices once in a while. Thanks for your comment! x

      Delete
    2. I agree. Taking time for yourself really is transformative. Looking back I wish I had done it from the day I had my son but it felt impossible to fit in. I had a glass of prosecco every evening of the lockdown. I felt like I needed to celebrate getting through the day but after a year of doing that I felt like it had just vecome a habit and I didnt even know if I was enjoying it anymore so back to the weekends. You've parentrd throufh a pandemic, I don't feel like we give ourselves anywhere near enough credit for that...x

      Delete
    3. Oh, my, god, I know exactly what you mean about celebrating getting through the day! It is something to celebrate and to give yourself a huge treat for, especially during the pandemic! Yeah I also know what you mean about not even enjoying it sometimes - it's so automatic because it's sometimes the only way you feel you have the energy to "wind down". I am about to embark on a month where I don't drink which is going to be hard, but I figure that even if it's only a month, it's still a month where my body gets a bit of a break! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two-nagers!

Re-identifying your identity